Motor Vehicle Accident Claims

If you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident that was someone else's fault, then you may be entitled to a claim for compensation.

If you are catastrophically injured (which is determined by the State Government's Lifetime Support Scheme) then you may be entitled to ongoing payments for treatment, care and support regardless of who is at fault for the accident and in some cases where no driver is at fault.

When you pay your car registration, a percentage of this goes towards Compulsory Third Party (CTP) Insurance.  This insurance covers road users in the event of an injury and is used to compensate road accident victims.  

If a vehicle involved in causing a personal injury cannot be identified or is not registered, then an injured person can still make a claim. 

How to Lodge a Claim

If you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident that was not your fault, then you need to lodge a claim with your CTP Insurer within 6 months of the accident.  In order to lodge a claim you need to complete an Injury Claim Form and submit it to your insurer.  If you are unsure how to complete the form, please contact our office and we can assist you to do so.

Treatment Expenses

If your claim is accepted (which it should be unless there is a dispute as to who was at fault for the collision), then your Insurer will attend to payment of all reasonable and accident related treatment expenses.

What can you Claim?

There are various heads of damage under which an injured person can claim compensation.  These include Pain and Suffering, Past Economic Loss (including lost superannuation benefits), Future Economic Loss (including loss of future superannuation benefits), Past Domestic Assistance, Future Domestic Assistance and Future Medical Treatment.  The circumstances of each case will determine which (if any) of the above heads of damage apply.

For further advice regarding your potential entitlements, please do not hesitate to contact Paul Alvaro Lawyers and arrange an inital consultation.